The Sarcoma Alliance is seeking a dynamic Executive Director with proven executive level leadership and development skills to promote the vision, mission, and strategic direction of this nonprofit organization.
ABOUT THE SARCOMA ALLIANCE
The Sarcoma Alliance’s mission is to improve the lives of people affected by sarcoma through guidance, education and support. Our core work is providing support to sarcoma patients and their loved ones, providing access to care through our financial assistance grant program, and providing educational resources to those seeking to learn more and better understand sarcomas. The ideal candidate will have executive and development experience, and the ability to engage and influence members and stakeholders to garner support and drive results in fulfillment of the Sarcoma Alliance mission and strategic priorities. This is satisfying work that makes a real difference in people’s lives. You can achieve professional growth with personal fulfillment. You will connect with people and make a lifesaving impact.
The Executive Director is a full-time position reporting to the Board of Directors and working closely with the Executive Committee of the Board. Salary range for qualified candidates is $90,000-$100,000.
The following position responsibilities are essential functions of the position:
- Leadership and Advocacy: Serve as a spokesperson for the Sarcoma Alliance and one of its principal advocates in the sarcoma community, including speaking to constituents and presenting at key conferences.
- Relationship Development: Help create a strategy to build relationships with key stakeholders (e.g., patient, physician, and pharmaceutical communities). Develop strategic alliances and coalitions with like-minded organizations. This includes public speaking at conferences and other events, as well as strategizing, creating, and presenting funding proposals and potential partnerships to industry stakeholders.
- Strategic Direction: Work with Executive Committee and Board to develop a comprehensive strategic plan and ensure the successful implementation of that strategic plan. Structure priorities to achieve Key Performance Indicators to be set by the Board of Directors.
- Nonprofit Development: Ensure adequate funding to achieve Sarcoma Alliance priorities. Coordinate and oversee the Sarcoma Alliance’s major fundraising events, manage pledge and fundraising drives, liaise with independent fundraisers. Develop specialized campaigns and creative revenue streams including securing grants to support Sarcoma Alliance initiatives.
- Fiscal Responsibilities: Create annual budget, supervise and maintain the Sarcoma Alliance’s operating budget, and ensure compliance with state charity filings. Familiarity with financial reports and basic accounting. Monitor and evaluate campaign and donation progress and report regularly to Board.
- Operations: Manage the day-to-day operations of the Sarcoma Alliance, including supervising staff, coordinating and delivering events, and managing contracts. Work with Sarcoma Alliance Board, Committees and Task Forces to accomplish goals. Ensure the integrity and security of all donor information.
- Program Management: Lead strategy and implementation of key programs for the Sarcoma Alliance, including the annual Sarcoma Exchange patient conference and the Assistance Fund grant program for patient financial assistance.
- Personnel Management: Work with the Board and appropriate staff to develop volunteer base, identify needed skills for volunteers and prospective Board members, and coordinate volunteer activity, including Brand Ambassadors. Manage all contractors and third-party service providers.
- Marketing and Communications: Oversee work of staff and interns to ensure marketing, campaign, and assistance goals are achieved or exceeded.
- Bachelor’s degree required, post graduate degree preferred.
- At least five years’ experience working for a non-profit in a management capacity.
- Extensive experience in development, including implementing fundraising events and appeal campaigns, managing independent events, and successful grant writing.
- Management Experience, including project management, contract management, and people management (staff and volunteers)
- Strategic Thinker, proven ability to think strategically, identify key fundraising trends, and have participated in the strategy development and execution of initiatives to achieve fundraising and operational goals.
- Strong communication and negotiating skills. Experience interacting with a variety of audiences preferred. Demonstrable ability to influence others to action through creating a shared vision and sense of ownership and personal accountability.
- Personal connection to cancer or a rare disease; preference given to candidates with a connection to sarcoma.
- Proficient in QuickBooks and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), WordPress, and experience with relational databases.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States to be eligible for consideration; visa sponsorship is not available.
- Ability to travel throughout year to conferences (including ASCO and CTOS) and Sarcoma Alliance events (including the annual meeting of the Board of Directors and the Sarcoma Exchange), and to participate in evening and weekend calls and meetings.
Please e-mail a cover letter and resume including contacts for three references to email@example.com. Please put “Executive Director Search” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls, or mailed or faxed submissions. The cover letter should include the following information:
1. Describe your specific experiences managing projects and people.
2. Describe your specific experience working with an active volunteer Board of Directors.
3. Describe your personal relationship to sarcoma, cancer, or other rare disease.
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check, reference checks and must be able to perform essential function of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation. The Sarcoma Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is a non-profit organization.
Principals only. Recruiters please don’t contact this job poster.
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products, or commercial interests.
Post Position: October 2022
Location: U.S. Based; Remote
Salary: Commensurate with experience